The Developing Northern Australia Conference Above the Line – unleashing the north’s potential continues the dialogue started in 2015 following the release of the Australian Government’s White Paper on Developing Northern Australia.
Underpinned by the Government’s Top Actions Summary identified in the White Paper the Conference will explore how industry, business, Government and agribusiness are embracing the opportunities for sustainable growth into the next decade.
The Top Actions Summary will form the basis of Conference themes.
Hosted by the Association for Sustainability in Business the Conference provides a platform for business, industry, academics, NGOs, special interest groups, indigenous communities and all levels of Government to participate in shaping Australia’s future.
The program provides an opportunity for all participants to have input into the future of northern Australia.
Comprising 12 forums chaired by leaders in their respective field and based on the Top Actions Summary this high level conference poses the questions; What progress has been made? What barriers exist and how should these be overcome? What resources are needed? Where are the investment opportunities?
The program will include:
- The Hon Adam Giles MLA, Northern Territory Chief Minister, Minister for Tourism, Minister for Northern and Central Australia, Minister for Economic Development and Major Projects, and Minister for Indigenous Affairs
- Russell Barnett, Australian Venture Consultants
- The Hon John Brumby, National President, Australia China Business Council
- Tony Eyres, Senior Investment Specialist, Austrade
- Clare Martin, Chair Territory Natural Resource Management
- Professor Ruth Wallace, Director Northern Institute Charles Darwin University
- Sharon Warburton, Chairman, Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility
- Chris Wilson, President, ConocoPhillips Australia Business Unit West
- Peter Yu, Chief Executive Officer, Nyamba Buru Yawuru Ltd
Who Should Attend?
With such wide ranging consequences for Australia, the Conference will appeal to all who are forward thinking and support a resilient Australia. In particular:
- Federal Government inter-agency representatives
- State Government representatives from QLD, WA and NT
- Local Government representatives including CEO, General Managers, Mayors and Elected Officials
- Economic and Community Development Managers and Groups
- Sustainability and Environment Groups
- Organisations representing indigenous affairs
- Town Planners, Architects, Builders, Project Managers and Engineers
- Chamber of Commerce, RDA and Economic Development Groups
- Banking, Finance and others interested in Economic Development
- Academics and Researchers, Education Bodies with representation in Northern Australia
- Local Business Owners and Managers
- Resource Sector, Tourism Operators and Agricultural bodies
- Northern Australia Special Interest Groups
- Dr Allan Dale, Professor of Tropical Regional Development, The Cairns Institute, James Cook University (Chair)
- Peter Sugg, Chief Executive Officer, Association for Sustainability in Business Inc. (Co-Chair)
- Professor Scott Bowman, Vice Chancellor, Central Queensland University
- Chris Mitchell, Executive Officer, RDA Kimberley
- Kate Peake, Chief Executive Officer, RDA Northern Territory
- Bridgette Bellenger, Northern Australia Development Office
- Andrew Dickson, Office of Northern Australia, Policy & Research Division
- Melissa George, Chief Executive Officer, NAILSMA
- Professor Ruth Wallace, Director of the Northern Institute, Charles Darwin University
- Sue Trewin, Program Researcher, Association for Sustainability in Business Inc.